Friday, October 9, 2009

Noble Words are Not Nobel Worthy.


...so Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

When I was a girl, I vividly remember coming across a book at my grandparent's home that was full of biographies of past Nobel winners. My grandpa explained to me that these people were people who were not only dedicated to preaching peace, they acted upon their convictions and made a real difference. Since that day, I've kept my eye on the process, the winners and yes, of course, I always have an opinion on the worthiness of the recipient. I mean, to be in the league of great doers like Martin Luther King, Jr., Mother Teresa, and Elie Wiesel who laid down their lives for peace, is an honor beyond compare.

Now, I am not (Kelley might disagree) an Obama-hater. Honestly, the fact that an African American person can get elected to the office of President of the United States makes me proud. I believe he is a good husband and father - maybe even great - but bestowing the Nobel Peace Prize for, as Pres. Jimmy Carter says "vision and commitment" to world peace without any tangible actions toward it is a devastation to those who rightfully earned the distinction.

Former Polish President and 1983 Nobel Peace laureate Lech Walesa said this when learning of Obama's win, "So soon? Too early. He has no contribution so far. He is still at an early stage. He is only beginning to act." ....and I agree to the hilt... and then some.

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that the originator of the Nobel Peace Prize, Alfred Nobel, was the inventor of dynamite? I thought that was an interesting fact. This is a pretty cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Ironic, isn't it? His invention killed his brother, too...sad...thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete